Thursday, January 6, 2011

On books.. James Lee Burke

After celebrating Christmas and New years with a long bout of the crud which turned me into a snorting, coughing zombie, I want to mention some books that I feel are exceptional in one way or the other.  Personal opinion, as always..

One of the most satisfying gifts I gave this year was an inscribed copy of The Glass Rainbow by James Lee Burke to an old friend. This is the latest in the much admired Dave Robicheaux series of what are mis-typed as mystery novels. In my opinion, Burke has risen far above this and if the critics and other authors are correct, he is now one of the most respected and admired writers of fiction in our time. I know he is in my estimation.  I have read almost everything he has written since about 1986 and each new book is solid, thoughtful, wrenching in some ways, but also entertaining.

Read John Connolly's link for an appreciation from another master..

No comments:

Post a Comment